Friday, September 08, 2006

It has begun...

I will be leaving New York City on 9/21/06 after living here for about 3 years.

The plan so far is to fly to Denver, CO with Joy to attend her and my friend Vivien's wedding. We'll be renting a car there and driving to San Francisco by way of a series of undoubtedly incredible sites in Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California. The exact route is subject to change, but I'm thinking about the Arches National Park, the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon.

From my previous roadtrips I've learned to stick to two-lane highways and avoid interstates. The southwest is all pretty much beautiful, so I think it will be hard to go wrong. Las Vegas is a possible stop as is San Simeon along the California coast. The goal will be to have a few days in San Francisco before Joy flies back to New York and I continue on to Hong Kong. I have a one-way ticket leaving San Francisco on 10/4/06. I'll arrive in HK without a whole lot in terms of a plan. I have some kind of reservation at a guesthouse in the Kowloon area. I'll explore Hong Kong and perhaps Macau a bit and then venture into China. I'll be traveling overland by train, bus, and hopefully yak eventually but let's keep our fingers crossed on that one.

As far as the route from there goes, I don't really know. I'll start with Guangdong and Fujian provinces I think, and then see how I feel. Shanghai is a possibility, but if the weather is too cold as I progress north, I'll take a left and head west and south instead. I will post more information and pictures here as I travel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home