Tuesday, October 03, 2006

onward to Asia

The day has arrived. My flight to Hong Kong is tonight at 1am. I'm in my friend Ian's apartment taking care of a few last minute things, but pretty much just waiting before I go to the airport. This neighborhood of San Francisco has improved my view a bit, though it is still much harder to get around than New York. He lives in what I believe is the Mission area. It's a bit more laid back and there are a bunch of blocks with more stores, restaurants, bars, cafes, and that sort of thing. A bit more like the Village I'm used to.

I put my phone on hold starting tomorrow. I have a chinese cellphone I bought in Chinatown before leaving which I'm going to try to hook up with a Chinese sim-card and international calling card once I arrive. We'll see how hard that is to pull off without any Cantonese. I suppose we'll see how hard it is to do anything without Cantonese pretty soon. The only thing I have left to do really is make a few calls and go do my laundry at a nearby laundromat. I figure it'd be good to arrive in HK with a fresh set of clothes before I end up having to tackle a Chinese laundromat, though that actually sounds kind of fun.

My flight leaves at 1:05am tonight in San Francisco. I fly 13h25m to Taipei where I will sit in the airport for a few hours. Then I will fly 1h45m from Taipei to Hong Kong, which puts me there around 9am local time on Thursday I believe. It should work out reasonably well, though who knows who confused my body will be. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep on the flight a reasonable amount. I have an Ambien just in case. I've been going to bed pretty early in SF and waking up early as well, so by the time I actually get on the plane tonight I should be pretty tired, maybe I won't even need it.

Anyway, glorious adventure commencing. I'm excited though at this point the anticipation is kind of brutal. I'm looking forward to actually setting off from here, getting on the train to the airport, getting on the plane, and most of all, stepping off the plane and seeing nothing but Chinese signs everywhere. I'm also looking forward to making an ass of myself with my first Chinese conversation, and finding my hostel, and finding my first vegetarian meal in Hong Kong. The next blog update will be from the other side of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home