Thursday, October 05, 2006

My cup runneth over

Here are some observations in no particular order pertaining largely to the Kowloon area of Hong Kong where I am staying and where I have walked around since arriving. Today I'll be going to Hong Kong Island and we'll see how these perceptions apply.

1. New York should have double-decker buses. If they can pull it off here when they have thousands of signs sticking out into the middle of the street, we totally could too.

2. The streetlights here have a bell that sounds like a heartbeat while you wait to cross the street. When it is ok to cross they sound more like a seizure or an EKG going into arrest.

3. They have no concept of noise pollution here. There are speakers out on the street in various places turned up to distorted volumes broadcasting what sounds like propoganda regarding hair products or something to that effect. Also, many stores blast Cantonese techno to attract customers and it seems to work.

4. A lot of times on the street someone will stop in front of you stunned by something and then slowly drift in the direction of the offending store, blocking all traffic in every direction. This happens in New York too.

5. There is in fact a large Indian and Pakistani population in Hong Kong, and at least a dozen black people.

6. Any person of Indian descent in Kowloon park will try to sell you Hashish. It will be either a young guy wearing a nice but filthy club shirt, or a guy who looks like the Jewel of the Nile.

7. There is a 7-11 every 50 feet or so.

8. The view of Hong Kong from Kowloon would be even more spectacular if you could see it through the smog. Crossing my fingers for a clear day.

9. Chinese people like Bruce Lee too.

That's all I can remember for now. Maybe today I'll make more effort to write them down. So I walked around quite a bit yesterday afternoon. I walked down to the water and checked out the view of Hong Kong Island. It is pretty impressive, but it was a bit hazy so I couldn't get a decent picture. I'm sure if you are motivated you can Google for one which will be better than anything I can provide. There is a Hong Kong version of the Hollywood Walk of the Stars or whatever it is called, where people press their hands into the pavement. I saw Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, Maggie Cheung, and a few others I know. Bruce Lee gets a giant impressive statue of which I along with every other tourist in Hong Kong took a picture. I shortly thereafter went back to my room, stopping at every 7-11 to buy a bottle of water to avert heatstroke. It was pretty steamy yesterday. Upon returning to my bedroom and reading my Chinese book for a bit, I collapsed in a heap and slept until 11pm or so. At that point, my new roommates arrived, as I am in a dorm room. They are 3 guys from London who were just in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to play Cricket. We talked a bit and since I had just napped I went out for a walk as they went to sleep. The area nearby is pretty active late at night. I was out about midnight and there were many people walking to and fro up and down Nathan Rd and its side streets. It wasn't as crazy as during the day, but plenty of restaurants were open and I walked by many bars and clubs as well. I ultimately made it back to my room just shy of a few hours of later and went to sleep again, sleeping fairly soundly until this morning when I attempted my first Hong Kong shower. Let's say it was functional but I did not choose to linger. At least the water was hot, once you manually turn on the hot water heater. In related news, I'm making good progress in defusing my Western expectations. My bed was comfortable and that sleeping bag liner that I bought has turned out to be really useful and comfortable. I also discovered last night that there is a small kitchen adjacent to the area where my room is, so perhaps tonight if I get hungry I will buy some instant noodles instead of peanuts and the closest approximation of fruit juice that I could find.

So I'm off now, not to waste anymore of what appears to be a beautiful day. I will probably fetch some vegetarian food for myself, maybe at the same place I went yesterday just because it is so incredibly close, easy, and cheap. Next I will set out for the Star Ferry which crosses the water between here and Hong Kong Island, and wander around the many neighborhoods over there. Depending on how clear it is, perhaps I'll attempt the Peak Tram for an expansive view of Hong Kong, or I heard there is another tram which takes you to a giant Buddha statue, but that is on some other island apparently. Here I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home