Monday, October 16, 2006

Things here are pretty darned cheap

So 1 US dollar is worth about 8 Chinese Ren Min Bee, also called Yuan. RMB means "the People's Money" in case you were wondering. I took a bunch of public buses that pretty much cost 2RMB for rides of maybe 45 minutes or so, a fixed fare. I took a longer distance bus for 2 hours which cost 15RMB, still under $2US. In a bus station I bought a large bag of peanuts and a large bottle of water for 6RMB, $.75USD. Today I ate lunch at a vegetarian restaurant at a Buddhist temple in Shunde, and that cost 50RMB for 2 entrees (I was hungry) with rice, tea, and a soda. The hotel in which I stayed in Zhuhai was a bed in a student dorm, but it was perfectly clean and comfortable. That cost 60RMB, or about $8USD.

Today it rained in Shunde, so apart from venturing out to the Baolin Temple to explore and get some vegetarian food at their restaurant, I didn't do much except watch Chinese television and sort out a few things relating to my credit card and bank card situation. I also did a bit of reading and potential mental reconfiguring of my intinerary, though I still have come to no conclusions about that yet. The only certain things right now are Foshan and Guangzhou. Tonight I'll spend some time figuring out where I might stay in those places. Tomorrow I will visit Qinghui Yuan, a park from the imperial era which is supposed to be amazingly landscaped and extremely beautiful, apparently one of Guangdong's 4 famous gardens, at least at one time if not at the present. The things I read about it where ambiguous about the current status. Time permitting, there is a Bruce Lee museum here since it is very close to his ancestral home. If it isn't too much of a shlep to get out there it could be entertaining. Now I will go check the weather and see if perhaps the sun will come out for my look around the city tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home